More than 26 million bags have been reported to cruise lines as lost luggage in the past year. Similarly, some bags have been damaged or destroyed. If you unfortunately experience this, it can be hard to know what to do next. Here are our top tips to minimise the stress, frustration and impact to your journey.
1. Keep important documents with you
Documents like your passport, boarding pass and any expensive items should always be kept in your hand luggage or on your person. This prevents them getting lost or damaged. If your baggage is lost, you must keep any baggage claim tags and receipts for lost belongings. You could need these for insurance claims and reimbursements.
2. Check compensation policies
Certain cruise lines have specific policies for lost luggage compensation. In some circumstances, they will offer immediate reimbursements for your essential items while you are without your luggage. Compensation policies do vary by cruise line.
3. File an insurance claim
It is often a good idea to get travel insurance that covers the incident of lost luggage or up to a certain value. You can file a claim with your insurance provider if this is included in your policy.
In case of lost luggage, consider these tips:
- Carry-on essentials: Pack essential items like medications, a change of clothes, toiletries, and important documents (passport, ID, travel itinerary) in your carry-on bag. This ensures you have your basics even if your checked luggage is lost.
- Use luggage tags: Attach clear, durable luggage tags to your bags. Add contact information to these labels. This should be your name, the cruise line and your cruise number or flight number. It’s not advisable to put your address on there, in case it falls into the wrong hands.
- Use unique luggage: Choose luggage that stands out! This could be a bright colour or an unusual design, sometimes people buy personalised luggage. This can help you to identify your baggage easily and prevent any mix ups.
Baggage Enquiry Contacts
For all other cruise lines, contact the cruise line directly or speak with your booking agent.
If you have any queries, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on 02380 200 722, or view our Latest Cruise Deals.